Hospital Acquired Infection Case

    Our 70 year old client was injured in a motorcycle accident. The paramedics responding to the accident scene started an IV in our client’s hand. While in the hospital emergency room, the nurse changed the bandage over the IV, but failed to change the needle. Over the next five days the needle became severely infected, causing a blood infection known as sepsis. The infection ultimately settled in his spine resulting in paralysis.

    While in the hospital receiving treatment for his infection, our client developed pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores. Our client’s bed sore on his sacral area was so severe it resulted in surgical removal of a portion of his coccyx and a skin flap.